
In the 1920’s a wood framed church was erected on the site next to the present church. With the advent of the Spanish Dominicans, a priest was commissioned to take up residence in Tickfaw. Our Lady of Pompeii, Madonna Di Pompei, remained an autonomous parish for a considerable period of time. During World War II, due to personnel and financial difficulties, Tickfaw again became a mission of Independence.
One of the residing priests in Tickfaw was Father Peregrine de la Fuente, who later became bishop in the Philippines. With the conclusion of the Civil War in Spain in the 1930’s the religious situation in Spain had radically changed and the Spanish Dominicans left Louisiana and the United States. The American Dominicans then replaced the Spanish Dominicans in Tangipahoa. Father Francis H. Scola, O.P. was the first American and last resident priest to serve in Tickfaw. Father Scola’s successor was Father Daniel M. Della Penta. He served as pastor of both Independence and Tickfaw for roughly twenty years. Father Joseph Bernier, O.P. completed the present church in 1962.
